I’m in a fashion rut. I want to place most of the blame on the perpetual winter. I’m so sick of wearing tights. Some skirts and dresses just don’t look good with tights!
But I think the deeper cause of the problem is I’ve been a bit of a fashion schizophrenic and at the same time going through some life changes, like
- establishing my place in the professional world
- presenting myself as reliable and respectable
- wanting to be taken seriously, but also seen as creative and dynamic
I think I’m going to give myself the advice I give: start from scratch.
- Decide what my goals are.
- Take everything out of my closet.
- Evaluate each piece against my goals and decide whether to keep, sell or donate.
- Make a list of items to buy to round out my wardrobe.
One of my problems is that I always want a stand-out piece – something funky or bright, so I own a ton of highlight pieces that are overwhelming when worn together. I already know I’ll need more of the classic, basic pieces, like slacks and dress shirts. Plus I have a list of items I’d like to get for spring.
Once I’ve edited the clothes I have, I will need to match them up to create outfits – that I’ll leave for another post.